Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Music in Books 3

In this posting I will talk about Smashproof. Although they don't feature in Behind the Hood I want to show you one of their videos due to the location and topic in which they sing and rap about.  Plus, I may mention them in one of my followup books, either in Behind the Tears or Behind the Surface.  Here is their video Brother.

Smashproof feat. Gin Wigmore



Since you've watched it now you have gotten an idea of what South Auckland looks like, with views of Otara, Manukau, Manurewa, and possibly more.  I used to live in Clendon Park (Manurewa), which is where I got the idea for my story from.  I intended on writing a fantasy, but as soon as I started writing about Maia walking down a main street things took on a completely different direction.  I do not name the place in my book as Clendon Park, because my book is classified under fiction and there are elements that are different.  Plus, I haven't lived there for a number of years, so things have changed, moved on.  But, as anyone who lives or has lived in this area will know what I'm talking about.  Plus, people in New Zealand have seen the news reports about Manurewa. In the music video where the boy is seen running away from the man after being caught tagging was based on something that was tragically real.  A fifteen-year-old boy was stabbed to death by an irrate owner after he was caught tagging the man's property.  I remember this well as I was living in the area at the time.

Also, the images in the video of a troublesome home life and the selling of drugs in the playground is sadly very true to this area (and many other areas around the world like it).  Mikey, in my story, has an extremely troubled home life, as do the Ratas.  Drugs also feature in my story through the Ratas (who are drug dealers) and Tama, who is constantly getting high.  The Ratas will be focused on in Behind the Tears and how they fell into this life.  But, here is a line from Behind the Hood where Ash Rata lets Nike know what he feels about dealing drugs.

In this section Ash is trying to talk Nike out of taking a job as a chauffeur with a drug lord.  Ash knows that there is more to the job than Nike thinks. Nike is the one saying he needs the money:
 
Ash sniffed. “That counts for shit. You’ll be playin’ with the big boys here, not some li’l bitch that picks on girls half his size.” 
     I need the money.” 
    “It’s blood money.”
   “And yours ain’t?”
Ash’s jaw clenched. “You insult me when all I’m doin’ is lookin’ out for ya?”
Nike flinched. “No, I didn’t mean it like that.”
“Yes, you did. But unlike you, I never chose to fall into this biz. I’d be out of it in a heartbeat if I could.”
“I didn’t choose. You were always bugging me to deliver for you.”
“You said yes, didn’t cha? I never said yes to shit! But people still do what they fuckin’ like!”
Someone coughed. Nike glanced over at the passage.
Dante filled the doorway, his concerned expression trained on Ash. “You alright, bro?”
Ash turned and walked out the front door, slamming it behind him.
Keeping his eyes locked on Dante, Nike stood up and edged towards the door.
   “What did your father tell ya ‘bout Ash?” Dante asked.
Nike stopped, unsure whether he should bolt or not. 
   Dante closed the passage door behind him. “Tell me quietly, cos if you know what I think ya do, I don’t want Sledge hearing it.”

I'll stop at this point, because I don't want to give away too much about Ash. Anyway, feel free to post a comment.  And if you have lived in this area or a similar area, post a comment on your experiences--whether good or bad.

P.S. I will feature other musicians in future posts. 

2 comments:

  1. West Bengal Class 10th Time Table 2021(Madhyamik) is made available by the West Bengal Board of Secondary Education (WBBSE), The timetable has been released by the West Bengal Board of Secondary Examination (Madhyamik Pariksha) for the year 2021 for WBBSE Model Paper 2021 WBBSE 10th Model Paper 2021 is released by the West Bengal Board of Secondary Education in the pdf form. Students should download the WB Bengal Madhyamik Questions paper 2021

    ReplyDelete
  2. IOB can make their self registration for Indian Overseas Bank net banking facility to make use of online banking facility offered online, check each step by step involved in self registration of IOB internet banking facility to complete the activation. IOB netbanking Indian Overseas Bank is a major public sector bank in India, and the bank provides a great net banking experience to the IOB customer, where the Internet banking helps in providing the banking solution to the account holders from the comfort of home.

    ReplyDelete